PlastiGlide® is a series of coatings that are resistant to gamma sterilization. They are formulated with a very low friction form of high molecular weight polyethylene (PE). These coatings are very low friction (0.012 per ASTM D 3702 @ 50RPM) and are tenaciously bonded to surfaces. Formulations include ON2-115 and several others.
No More Problems With Gamma Radiation
Gamma radiation is the medical device/equipment industry’s near-ideal answer to the problem of sterilization. The only problem with it is that because it is high-energy radiation that completely penetrates objects, it affects the cell or polymer structure of a medical object or coating. For instance, some bone implant bearing pads lose tensile strength, and a long list of engineering polymers are degraded to the point of being worthless.
Surface Solutions Group has come up with an answer to this problem. In addition to low-friction and .001″ (0.0025mm) application thicknesses, PlastiGlide® coatings are resistant to gamma radiation sterilization procedures because they contain no fluorine chemistry, unlike PTFE or other fluoropolymers.
Key Features of PlastiGlide®
- Resistant to the erosion of parts caused by gamma radiation sterilization
- Permanently bonded to rigid or flexible substrates
- Extreme high bond strength to substrates with moderate non-stick properties
- Will not flake nor powder in use
- Application to specific areas such as interior walls of tubing or flexible and rigid inside valves or other cavities
- Primary colors and tints available
- Clear to translucent color in standard formulations